Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A softy that goes by the name of .... Sally Rabbit


It was the day before Christmas, and all the gifts were happily wrapped sitting under the tree... but there was something missing... or at least, I felt like there was something missing...
I wanted to make my Jellibell something for Christmas, yes, make... I had already made her a new pillowcase dress and matching purse (which I will share in the weeks to come), but I wanted to try something new.
I had printed out this fantastic free pattern from mmmcrafts ages ago (I fell in love with Molly monkey). It had been sitting next to my  sewing machine for a good while, patiently waiting for me to get it together. Now, being a beginner sewer I did not even read through it, because I expected it to be way above my level of expertise.
But, with a burning desire to make my girl something to cherish and hold onto, I pulled out the Molly Monkey pattern. As it was, I did not have enough felt to make Molly's adorable little face, and so had to improvise a little.
I decided she just wouldn't be the same without her felt face, so I decided to make her bunny ears and lo and behold.... a little Rabbit was born.
I loved every single bit of making her (and it was surprisingly quick and easy).
When I look at her, there are bits of so many people I love in her. Her socks are bits of material my darling sister gave me. The material for her flannel body comes from my granny, and her flower print body was left over from a special gift made for my sister (which will also be shared soon). Even her skirt comes from material given to me by my great mom-in-law.
She truly represents a love of sewing from so many different woman in my family!

For all the centiment, I am, of course, not the only one who loves her. My girl loved her from the minute she saw her, and she has been honoured with a space on her bed... that's when she is not being dragged around the house by her arm...
I wouldn't want it any other way!

P.S. - If you where wondering about her name, it was hubby's contribution to the making of this beautiful softy for our beautiful girl!

1 comment:

  1. well, Sally is delightful. Thanks for the kind words about the pattern and the linkage. I bow to your bravery in starting a sewing project on the day before Christmas. Actually that sounds exactly like a crazy thing I'd do. Yes, I'd absolutely love to have her in the Molly group. There's another rabbit in there as well!

    ReplyDelete